Are you searching for more functional drinks that not only boast stunning appearances but also offer incredible health benefits? If so, look no further. This exquisite fusion of Pea Butterfly Flower and Matcha brings together a symphony of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties, and a natural promotion of relaxation to the nervous system. With a myriad of other nutritional health qualities, this earthy blend embodies the essence of what I am here to share.
Butterfly Pea Flower
Butterfly Pea Flower (Clitoria ternatea) is a plant commonly used in teas or applied topically for beauty purposes. In traditional medicine, butterfly pea flowers have been utilized for their potential health benefits, including anti-inflammatory and cognitive improvement properties, as well as benefits for the skin due to their antioxidant properties . The phytochemicals, or plant compounds, responsible for the plant's rich and vibrant color are also essential for preventing metabolic syndrome . Its color undergoes a beautiful transformation from blue to violet when combined with water and an acidic ingredient.
I am a huge fan of matcha, which is why I decided to create this drink in the first place. Although the butterfly pea flower color takes a slightly more dominant role, you can still catch hints of the earthy taste of matcha. Matcha is a type of green tea that originates from whole green tea leaves finely ground into a powder. A fascinating fact about matcha is that approximately three weeks before harvesting, tea plants are shielded from direct sunlight. This practice enhances the production of chlorophyll and amino acids, resulting in matcha's vibrant green color and unique flavor profile.
Matcha is a treasure trove of antioxidants. Its beneficial components, particularly catechins, are potent compounds recognized for their ability to combat oxidative stress within the body. These antioxidants play a crucial role in safeguarding our cells from damage, thereby reducing the risk of chronic diseases and ailments while promoting overall health. In addition to this, matcha contains caffeine and the amino acid L-theanine. This combination is believed to provide an energy boost that is both calm and focused, as L-theanine helps counteract the jitteriness often associated with caffeine consumption. Matcha is also rich in powerful EGCG, which helps enhance metabolism and reduce inflammation. Beyond this, it has a natural capacity to elevate mood and concentration, while also improving insulin sensitivity .
What's In The Blue Earthy Matcha Drink?
- The stars of this drink are both the Butterfly Pea Flower & Matcha. My favorite sources for the Butterfly Pea Flower is from Anima Mundi and Ceremonial grade Got Matcha. It's simply the finest matcha I have found.
- Filtered water: use hot water just before boiling to help whisk the matcha and honey
- Grass-fed regenerative raw milk: you can use any milk of your choice
- Manuka honey: you can also use local raw honey. Just make sure it's not sourced from China
- optional: splash of coconut milk
- Ice: This is also optional, but if you prefer to enjoy this drink during colder weather, you can turn it into a latte by warming and frothing the milk. Note: You might need less milk if you decide to froth it."
How To Make The Blue Earthy Matcha Drink?
Personally, I have a similar matcha whisk set, but you only need a regular-sized bowl and a bamboo whisk. Add the matcha and honey to the bowl, then pour in the water. Whisk vigorously in a 'W' motion until a frothy consistency forms. Then, you can use a shaker, or alternatively, use another separate bowl with the same whisk to combine a small splash of hot water with the butterfly pea flower to dissolve it. Then, add the milk and give it a good stir or shake. Lightly ice your glass cup, then pour in the Butterfly Pea milk, followed by the matcha. If you decide to include a splash of coconut, you can add it afterwards. And there you have it!
Blue Earthy Matcha Drink
- 1/2 tsp butterfly pea powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp ceremonial grade matcha
- 1 tsp manuka honey or local raw honey
- 1/4 cup hot water before boiling
- 2 tbsp coconut milk optional
- Add the matcha and honey to the bowl, then pour in the water. (Leave a splash of hot water aside for the butterfly pea powder next). Whisk vigorously in a 'W' motion until a frothy consistency forms.
- Then, you can use a shaker, or alternatively, use another separate bowl with the same whisk to combine a small splash of hot water with the butterfly pea flower. Stir gently to dissolve the powder.
- Then, add the milk and give it a good stir or shake. Lightly ice your glass cup, then pour in the Butterfly Pea milk, followed by the matcha. If you decide to include a splash of coconut, you can add it afterwards.
- Dust butterfly pea flower over your drink if desired. Enjoy!