Crab ceviche is a delightful dish that combines the freshness of seafood and other vibrant ingredients. This recipe adds a tropical touch by incorporating juicy mango into the mix, creating a perfect balance of flavors. The best part is that it's incredibly easy to make and can be prepared in less than 10 minutes! Let's dive in.
What Is Ceviche?
Ceviche is a popular Latin American dish that typically consists of raw seafood, often fish or shellfish, marinated in citrus juices like lime or lemon. The acid in the citrus juice effectively "cooks" the seafood, giving it a firm texture and enhancing its flavor. Ceviche is usually mixed with various fresh vegetables, fruits, and herbs, creating a refreshing and zesty dish.
Crab Ceviche Ingredients
- Crab Meat:
- Wild-caught crab meat, whether from fresh crab or canned, brings a sweet and delicate flavor. Ensure that you drain any excess liquid from canned crab meat. The one I use if from Costco.
- The frozen chunks of mango adds a tropical sweetness to the ceviche. Choose a ripe mango and dice it into bite-sized pieces to provide a juicy burst of flavor.
- Crisp cucumber adds a refreshing and crunchy texture to the ceviche. Dice the cucumber into small pieces.
- Red or Regular Onion:
- Finely chopped red or regular onion adds a sharp and pungent kick to the ceviche. It also provides a vibrant color and enhances the overall flavor profile.
- One juicy diced vine-ripened tomato or Roma tomato works too.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice. Lemons add a zesty and tangy flavor, balancing the sweetness of the fruits and the richness of the crab.
- Fresh cilantro, finely chopped, contributes a refreshing The cilantro adds a freshness of the herb.
- Optional: Jalapeno Nacho Slices:
- Mild jalapeno nacho slices compliment the ceviche but this one has no heat to it. If you want to spice it up, you can use fresh jalapeño or serrano peppers.
- Optional: You can also drizzle EVOO and add avocado separately once served to add healthy fats for this meal.
How To Make The Crab Ceviche
Prepare the crab meat by opening the can, draining any excess liquid, and ensuring it's ready to eat before adding it to a large mixing bowl. Squeeze the juice of 3.5 fresh lemons over the crab, enhancing the flavors with citrusy freshness. Chop the tomato, cucumber, red or regular onion, and, if desired, fresh jalapeño or serrano peppers into bite-sized pieces, adding them to the large mixing bowl. For a touch of tropical sweetness, add the frozen mango chunks, either leaving them as is or dicing them into smaller, preferred sizes. Sprinkle the chopped cilantro over the mixture, providing a burst of herbal freshness. Gently mix all the ingredients together, ensuring a harmonious blend. You can eat it once prepared or cover the container and refrigerate the ceviche for at least 30 minutes, allowing the flavors to marry and intensify. Once chilled, your Tropical Crab Ceviche is ready to be served, offering a refreshing appetizer or light main course. Pair it with cassava chips or organic corn chips. Enjoy!
- 1 lb wild-caught crab meat ready to eat
- 3.5 freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 red onion
- 1.5 cups frozen mango chunks
- handful cilantro
- 1-2 tbsp jalapeño nacho slices fresh jalapeño or serrano peppers if you want heat
- sliced avocados optional
- drizzle extra virgin olive oil optional
- Open the can of crab meat and drain any excess liquid. Ensure the crab is ready to eat. Add this to a large mixing bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of 3.5 fresh lemons over the crab. The citrusy freshness will enhance the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Dice the tomato, cucumber, red or regular onion, and if you want to add heat; dice fresh jalapeño or serrano peppers into bite-sized pieces and add to the large mixing bowl.
- Add the frozen chunks of mango. You can leave the frozen chunks as is or dice it up to smaller bite size pieces of preferred.
- Sprinkle the chopped cilantro over the mixture. The cilantro adds a burst of herbal freshness.
- Gently mix all the ingredients together.
- It's ready to eat after mixing the ingredients or you can cover the container and refrigerate the ceviche for at least 30 minutes. This chilling time allows the flavors to marry and intensify.
- Once chilled, your Tropical Crab Ceviche is ready to be served. Enjoy it as a refreshing appetizer or light main course. Serve with cassava chips or organic corn chips.
- Optional: drizzle EVOO once served or add avocado slices to include healthy fats!