You won't believe how delicious these fresas con crema are. Some fresas con crema are made with Lechera which is a sweetened condensed milk. A small 7 oz can of Lechera can have up to 22 grams of sugar per 2 tablespoons with 5 servings. This translates to 5.5 teaspoons per serving. That's a lot of sugar! I grew up eating fresas con crema but did not know the ingredients contained an insane amount of sugar and also that had a low quality milk coming from GMO. I do not believe you have to stop eating all the foods but do believe that we can make them into a healthier version with better quality ingredients. This is a quick and simple recipe that still hits the spot. Enjoy!
Fresas con Crema (Strawberries and Cream)
- 1 small box strawberries (Organic when possible)
- 3/4 cup greek plain whole yogurt (Ideally 100% grass-fed. I like Kalona SuperNatural or A2 Alexandre brand)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp hot filtered water (to dissolve coconut sugar)
- Add the Greek plain yogurt to a small bowl. Add the coconut sugar to a separate small container.
- Warm up a little bit of filtered water enough to pour into the coconut sugar. It should be enough to mix and allow the granulated coconut sugar to dissolve completely making it into a liquid.
- Add the coconut sugar to the yogurt and mix well making it into a cream.
- Chop the strawberries to the desired shape (after washing and drying)
- Combine the chopped strawberries to a cup pouring some cream you mixed (yogurt + coconut sugar). Mix well covering all the strawberries with the cream.
- Top with chia seeds for boosted benefits like magnesium, iron, DHA Omega 3, antioxidants and more. Chia seeds is a great source of fiber.